Saturday, September 27, 2014

A Dream Realized - Flight Plan Executed

On Thursday, September 25th, 2014 I received surprising news, the softcover versions of my book Queen of the Hurricanes: The Fearless Elsie Gregory MacGill had arrived early in Toronto, and they were ready for me to pick-up! I had not expected them for at least another week, and it was really exciting news especially because I was headed to Toronto as a guest speaker at the Elsie Gregory MacGill Northern Lights Awards!


Through the wonders of technology arrangements were quickly made to ensure that the book would be onsite upon my arrival at the venue. It was a wonderful moment, more than a decade of work, and finally a book! And, what better way could there be for it to make its official debut than at a gala celebration of women in aviation? It was incredible to be at this event where such incredible women were being honoured: Dr. Roberta Bondar - Pioneer Award Eva Martinez - Business Award Lynne McMullen - Education Award Sandra McDonald - Government/Military Award Machelle White - Flights Operations/Maintenance Award Danielle Metcalfe-Chenail - Rising Star Award Congratulations to each and everyone of you - an may your horizons know know ending! It was also wonderful to share this evening with supporting friends from BPW Canada Valerie and Ethel Clarke who have supported the work since I met them in 2006:


My book is published by Second Story Press in Toronto and it is the fifth book of the Feminist History Society collection. As more information about the book becomes available I will post updates here on launches, ordering etc. For more information on the Elsie Gregory MacGill Northern Lights Awards see:

http://www.northernlightsaward.ca/aboutus.html

 Cheers, Crystal

2 comments: